Here are my picks of the best bass lures.
1. Plastic Worms
Please visit my new site at http://fishing-about.com
Plastic Worm - Plastic worms have probably accounted for more bass than any other kind of bait. They are very versatile and can be fished from the top to the bottom. You can get any size needed from tiny three inch worms to monsters over 10 inches long. And the come in all colors of the rainbow - and hundreds more. Rig them Carolina style, Texas style, on a jig head, weightless and any other way you can imagine and they will catch bass.
- Crankbaits look like baitfish or crawfish, two of the favorite foods of bass. Crankbaits come in all sizes, shapes and colors. They are easy to cast and work in most kinds of water. You can fish fast and cover water to find active bass. Learn to fish a crankbait and it adds to your arsenal of effective lures.
- Spinnerbaits catch lots of bass and they are a good bait for covering a lot of water fast to find fish. They tend to catch bigger bass, too. They come in a wide variety of sizes, colors and blade configuration to help match the hatch. They look like baitfish and bass eat a lot of baitfish.
4. Jig and PigJig and Pig
- A jig and pig is one of the best big bass baits available to fishermen. Lots of tournaments are won with a jig and pig because they catch bigger bass. Resembling a crawfish when worked on the bottom, they attract bass looking for an easy meal and bass love crawfish.
5. Bucktail JigBucktail Jig
- A bucktail jig is a very basic lure that is so effective in catching fish it is included in survival kits. Variations include plastic tails either straight or curly. All work well under varying conditions. Not just a bass lure, they do catch bass under a wide variety of conditions.
6. Topwater PlugsTopwater Plugs
- No bass bite is more exciting than what you get with topwater lures. The smashing splash of a bass hitting on top will make your heart stop, but even the gentle hit of a big bass sucking a topwater plug under as it eats it is thrilling. You can get a lot of colors, sizes and actions in topwater baits and you can make them work in a huge number of ways.
7. Tail SpinnersTail Spinners
- When bass are deep a tail spinner is an excellent way to catch them. Little George lures made Mann's Bait Company famous and have caught many bass. They are great in cold water when bass are inactive and don't chase baits very far.
- Jigging spoons
catch a lot of bass but a weedless spoon with a trailer is an excellent bait in grass and heavy cover. In some cover a weedless spoon works better than any other bait. They flash and wiggle and attract strikes.