1. Sports

Great Snakehead Fish

By January 24, 2013

The snakehead fish are causing problems when introduced outside their range. They look scary and there has even been a horror movie made about them but they are not that dangerous. They are a popular food and aquarium fish. Find out some facts about one species of snakehead fish, the Great Snakehead, with this fish species fact sheet.
Great Snakehead Fish

Comments

September 9, 2008 at 11:33 am
(1) Maggie says:

What is the name of that horror movie? I am doing a project on invasive species and I came across this post….if you could let me know that would be GREAT :D

September 9, 2008 at 12:20 pm
(2) fishing says:

There are at least three movies – Snakehead Terror from 2004, Night of the Snakehead and Swarm of the Snakehead from 2006.

September 9, 2008 at 6:09 pm
(3) Maggie says:

Thanks so much…and if you ever put anything up about the Snakehead that would be lovely! thanks again :D

December 28, 2008 at 11:20 am
(4) lledslinger says:

I never even hear of a snakehead fish. I guess I don’t watch enough tv. Are their any
fishing tales to go along with the Snakehead fish.

January 13, 2009 at 3:42 pm
(5) garri says:

I got a fish from a pet store about 1 year ago. I tried to take it back so I could shut down my fish tank and they told me I had a snakehead. How can I be sure that it is not what I have?

January 13, 2009 at 8:04 pm
(6) fishing says:

You could take it to your local fisheries biologists office, or just kill it to make sure.

February 3, 2009 at 10:00 am
(7) chai says:

I think we should protected snakehead because 1. they very good eating
2. they one of the best on fishing game
3. they are no danger to compair with Northernpike
if you want to know more about this fish email me. chaiesq@yahoo.com

March 14, 2009 at 1:29 pm
(8) Dannie says:

I used to have one of these as a pet back in 1994. It was incredibly aggressive. It once jumped out of its tank while I was at work. When I found Hannibal he was dry and presumed dead. My friend dumped him in the aquarium till we could dispose of him. He came back to life. Over his lifetime he broke two very large aquariums by ramming the sides with his head while stalking feeder goldfish. He eventually died after ramming his head like that. But talk about an unnerving fish!

July 23, 2009 at 11:22 pm
(9) anthony says:

I am actually looking for brown and blue snakeheads… They dont get anywhere near as large or as aggressive as the reds…. Does anyone know where I might be able to aquire them ? ? ? Please email me at shaaman6969@aol.com THANX….

January 6, 2010 at 9:18 am
(10) Bo Zaza says:

Don’t forget “Frankenfish” – another great B class horror flick that is based on myths around the snakehead species.

January 6, 2010 at 3:57 pm
(11) G Davis says:

How can you say that they are not that bad??? In fact, the article that you have tied to your blog point out the problems with them. They are prolific & can reproduce 100-1000 young + can reproduce twice a year. They have no predators & have taken over lakes by eating all of the native species, frog, crawfish & basically anything in their way. Then, you get these fools who want an exotic pet only to find that they can not handle it, so rather than killing them, they dump them in a nearby lake. Anyone who freshwater fishes should do all they can to try & ban the import of these fish into the U.S. & support efforts to eradicate those already here.

January 6, 2010 at 9:39 pm
(12) fishing says:

The “not that bad refers to the monsters in the movies – they are very bad as a non-native species, but they aren’t monsters that eat boats and people.

May 31, 2010 at 5:56 pm
(13) billy says:

i am trying to find a place to buy a snakehead fish for dinner does anyone know where i can buy some

January 3, 2011 at 4:44 pm
(14) Harang says:
January 5, 2011 at 8:57 am
(15) fishing says:

Those clips definitely make me NOT want to see the movie.

January 4, 2011 at 3:29 am
(16) whesenius says:

The Snake head is called Sha Do in Thailand an reminds a bit of a catfish with lots of teeth. I caught myself a Lot in the Lake Maprachan near Pattaya. Missed ones are easy to see as your Bait Fish is mostly clean bitten in halves underneath the Hook.

January 5, 2011 at 8:57 am
(17) fishing says:

Good to get some first-hand knowledge. The bitten bait fish sounds like a saltwater bite!