Baitcasting reels are very popular and work better than other kinds of fishing reels for some kinds of fishing.
- Handle heavy line well
- Gearing allows you to put a lot of pressure on fish while fighting them
- Give you more control when casting
- Allow you to control lure placement more exactly by thumbing the spool
- Reel placement close to rod gives you more leverage when fighting fish
- Takes a good bit of practice to learn to cast
- Fairly expensive for good reels expect to pay at least $70
- Will not cast real light lures
- backlashes are guaranteed, no matter how good you are, you will have to pick out a backlash at times
- Lots of parts when you take one apart to clean
Baitcasting reels deserve a place in your arsenel of fishing gear. Use them where they shine and use them correctly and they will serve you well.