The Bottom Line
- Rod is a good action for several kinds of baits
- Seven foot length helps in casting and fighting fish
- Guides are smooth and placed well on the rod
- Rod is light enough to fish without tiring
- Cork handles are comfortable to fish
- Not found in all tackle stores
- Seven foot length
- Aluminum Oxide guides
- Cork handles
- Trigger type handle
- Black in color
- Price range less than $75
Guide Review - All Star Medium Action Fast Taper Rod Review
The action of this rod works well with the Revo reel and 12 pound Trilene XT Big Game line. I can cast a big bait like the Sammy a long way, important when chasing schooling bass, but it also handles lighter baits like swim baits with quarter ounce heads and three eights ounce spinnerbaits with ease. I have an older All Star Heavy Action Rod with a Pflueger Reel that I use for fishing a jig and pig and a Texas rigged worm on 20 pound test line that is a good fit for those baits.
The rod is fairly heavy in weight but no so heavy it is not a pleasure to fish. The new Revo STX is as smooth as the older one and is a good match for the rod. It would handle heavier line but for what I am using this combo for the 12 pound line is great.
This combo has quickly become a favorite of mine. It is a fairly inexpensive rod for its quality.