1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

How To Stay Warm While Fishing In the Winter

By January 23, 2013

Dressed for Winter Fishing You can stay warm while fishing in the winter. Here is how I dress for fishing in middle Georgia in the winter but the temperature seldom gets below 20 degrees. How do you stay warm while fishing in the winter? Share your tips in the comments.

picture Ronnie Garrison

How To Stay Warm While Fishing In the Winter

Comments

January 17, 2009 at 6:05 pm
(1) Wirecuter says:

I wear long johns, Extreme Cold Weather wool socks from Bass Pro, a flannel or wool shirt, insulated overalls from Carhartt and my Carhartt work coat. I wear neopreme gloves, and a heavy ball cap with a wool cap is in my pocket in case it gets too cold.
I live in the Central Valley of California where the temps are similar to yours.

January 18, 2009 at 10:31 am
(2) steve says:

i wear insulated everything and include handwarmers and feet warmers. i wish we had mild temps like that here in new england. this past week it stayed at -20 degrees F. which is about normal around here.

January 19, 2009 at 8:43 am
(3) Len White says:

Layer it and keep the cotton away from your skin. One pair of quality wool socks is better than 5 cotton. Layers of clothing, with modern long johns first will keep you warm, and never forget dry. If your feet or body get wet from sweat you won’t last half an hour. Also don’t be cheap. The more expensive cold weather clothing often IS your best bet. Better to spend six bucks on one pair of wool socks than on 8pairs of cotton. Frostbite hurts, and in extereme cases loss of toes, or nerve damage. Don’t forget your hat and gloves!

February 2, 2011 at 1:01 pm
(4) Jon says:

When it’s really cold out I bring my wool gloves with cut-off finger tips. These are great because you still have the ability to tie knots/change lures with your fingers, but then you can just flip the covers over and now your hands are protected from the cold as you cast.

February 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm
(5) fishing says:

I have tried gloves with cut out fingers – nothing seems to work right. I just suffer with cold fingers and hands.

January 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm
(6) Tom B says:

As silly as it sounds, a pair of pantyhose under the long johns gives a bit more trapped air and tends to keep your skin drier if you should overheat and sweat. I also wear a pair of “glommits” which are a pair of glove/mitten hybrids that have half fingers and a mitten type flap you can pull over your fingers. Whatever you wear, the outer layer should be wind resistant!

January 25, 2012 at 5:58 pm
(7) fishing says:

Haven’t tried pantyhose – not sure I will! But it sounds like it might work.

February 24, 2013 at 8:19 pm
(8) Coolguy says:

Hi Fishing

I can assure you that the pantyhose under long johns trick works. Pantyhose on their own are not sufficient, and l find long johns rough and itchy to the skin, but together they are great, although my mates take the piss, as i am only 22. However,I am warm and cosy, so I have the last laugh!