1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Winter Storage of Fishing Tackle

By December 30, 2012

I am lucky to get to fish every month of the year so my tackle never gets stored for very long. But if you live where you have to store your tackle for the winter, Jim Shepherd has some great tips on what to do. If you don't fish year round, store your tackle this winter so it will be ready to go next spring.

Do you store your tackle for the winter? Do you have any tips to add to these? Tell us about your winter fishing tackle storage tips in the comments section.

Winter Storage of Fishing Tackle

Comments

November 4, 2008 at 9:56 pm
(1) T. Brink says:

Generally leave my fluoro and braid on the reel for at least 2 yrs, the mono comes off every year. I do strip at least 10 yds off of my braid and fluoro spools every year. Have not had any problems with breakoffs this way. I do use a fluoro leader on a large percentage of my rigs, and tend to repace it frequently as I feel that fluoro is lacking in abrasion resistance. Anyone else have some input?
Tom

November 13, 2008 at 2:37 pm
(2) fishing says:

I change line much more often than that with mono and fluro but have some braid that has been on a couple of reels for several years. But I seldom use it so it is not exposed.

December 9, 2009 at 8:03 pm
(3) Fishing tackle manufacturer says:

My tip is don’t forget to check for any live bait you left in there before putting it away LOL!
I’ve had some yucky surprises in there come spring time :(

December 21, 2010 at 8:35 am
(4) larrysfishingservice says:

always loosen your drags- they will last a lot longer with tension off of washers!

December 21, 2010 at 8:23 pm
(5) fishing says:

Good point – should have put that in!

December 19, 2011 at 5:14 pm
(6) Tom says:

Another good idea is adding some dessicant to your bags/boxes when you put them away for the summer. If you are on reasonable terms with your local phamacist, they usually are willing to put aside a few bags/cylinders for you. These can be re-dried by placing them on a cookie sheet in a low (250*) oven for a couple of hours.

December 19, 2011 at 10:33 pm
(7) fishing says:

Good tip. I usually save the little dessicant tubes from my pill bottles and use them.