1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Fish Attractants

By December 2, 2012

Do you put attractants on your lures? Some swear by them and others say they make no difference. I have seen times they seem to help but I seldom use them now. I do use JJ's Magic, a dip and dye that has a very strong garlic scent, but I don't use it every time or on all baits.

Fish Attractants

Comments

December 10, 2008 at 8:13 pm
(1) Steve C. says:

I use mainly spike-it garlic dip-n-glo on my soft plastics,or the marking pen with garlic if I just want to do the feet and tail of my lizard and a couple of eye balls for extra measure heh heh. I use scent sometimes but I am not so sure it makes a difference I have caught fish with and without it. I use different brands and scents with the same results. But I preffer garlic most often.I would bite it…

December 10, 2008 at 10:28 pm
(2) fishing says:

Know what you mean – I often want to go out for Italian after using JJs all day!

December 11, 2008 at 10:11 am
(3) L White says:

I’ve always used the samples I’ve been given. Berkely products seem to be popular in my area(Northern IN). They never seemed to do that much difference. Reminds me of something someone told me long ago, its not so much to attract, but to cover up, the fish think we stink. Grandma was right on one thing, you don’t know were that boy’s hands have been!

December 11, 2008 at 10:17 pm
(4) fishing says:

There is an argument about cover verses attractant scents. I am sure both play a part at times.

December 12, 2008 at 9:42 am
(5) L White says:

Yes there is argument about what is cover and what is attraction. Boy does it get confusing. In the urban environment I’m used to more guys are turning to carp and catfish from city parks and streams, scent is always a topic with these guys. But discussion is always in order, maybe enough bankside talks would shed some light, or at least make everyone feel it did!

December 12, 2008 at 6:50 pm
(6) Steve C. says:

I suppose we may never know for sure if the scent attracts or covers , or makes a difference at all. But if a fisherman thinks it is working it gives him confidence, and that surly makes a difference.

December 17, 2008 at 6:09 pm
(7) Johnnie Crain says:

One thing I have learned about attractants is they work, especially for men. We have a chemical in us called L-Serene and it repels all wildlife. Men have more than women and children. Ever been outfished by Grandma or a nephew? Any added taste or smell beats our odor, animals of all kinds hate humans, it’s born in them. I use Fish Formula all the time-it has never hurt my fishing and adds confidence as well.

December 17, 2008 at 7:19 pm
(8) fishing says:

Never underestimate the importance of confidence – it may be the most important part of using scents. Like everything else, if it works for you, use it.

December 7, 2010 at 2:24 pm
(9) Art says:

I try to use attractants or scent impregnated baits most of the time. However, I use them in hopes that the fish will hold onto the bait longer once he’s bit instead of trying to attract them to bite.

December 7, 2011 at 8:30 am
(10) Ed Tori says:

I use KVD Crayfish stick scent on Biffle Bug Jigs & nearly always catch nice largemouths on a heavily fished public lake.

December 7, 2011 at 10:57 am
(11) Dennis says:

4 of us were anchored, walleye fishing for an hour without a bite. I sprayed my jig and crawler with some wd40 and the next cast caught one. I rebaited and sprayed again. 2 casts later I caught another one.
We caught 6 all together. I think sents work.

December 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm
(12) Brian Helminen says:

I troll in the great lakes where the water is clear and visibility is pretty far. I will sometimes use wd-40 and have caught many fish almost immediately after spraying my lure. My understanding is that it can and does sometimes attract fish, but perhaps, more importantly, it cleans off any scent that would normally have made the fish reluctant to bite.
With this in mind, I have my lures hanging in baskets in the open air so that they don’t aquire smells from an enclosed takle box. Here is a link to show how I store my lures: http://sandpointcharters.com/?m=201104