1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

What Are Some Of Your Most Unusual Fishing Catches?

By November 17, 2012

Deformed bass If you go fishing very often you will have some unusual catches. They mount up over the years and range from slightly different to completely unexpected experiences. I have had my share of surprises. Share some of yours in the comments section below.

picture (c) Ronnie Garrison

What Are Some Of Your Most Unusual Fishing Catches?

Comments

November 16, 2011 at 10:45 pm
(1) Cayla Summers says:

I used to fish on Washington Island, Wisconsin from a dock. One day I hooked into a nice big Northern Pike on a Panther blade spinner. When I got the fish to the dock & tried to net it, it broke free, spinner & all. I was devastated. One week later I was fishing the same dock with a red & white Devil Blade. I again hooked into a nice Northern Pike & reeled it into the dock. As I went to net it, I realized it was the same fish from last week & it still had the Panther spinner lure hanging from it’s mouth!! This time I got him!!!

November 25, 2011 at 11:07 am
(2) fishing says:

Greedy pike! It is amazing how often fish bite with hooks in their mouths and stuff in their stomachs. I have several stories here about catching fish twice. Thanks for sharing.

November 23, 2011 at 1:54 pm
(3) andrew says:

couple: first I just got a 17″ X 5-1/2 wide rainbow. Problem was it had 3 places the spine had been injured so it looked like a snake. second: catching turtles on worms. No matter how many I catch they never fail to catch me by suprise (including a snapper that was the size of a spare tire).

November 25, 2011 at 11:05 am
(4) fishing says:

I used to catch a lot of turtles when bream fishing with my mom and grandmother. I sometimes get one in my pond now. Haven’t tried to clean one but I have had turtle hash and soup and it was good.

November 24, 2011 at 7:34 pm
(5) Joe says:

I’ve caught a seagull once. I was casting and it snatched it right out of the air. It then smacked the water with a belly flop. Reeled him in and released him. Also, I’ve heard of a guy reeling in a deers spine.

November 25, 2011 at 11:04 am
(6) fishing says:

Deers spine – yuck! Thinking of the smell. Did the seagull try to bite you?

November 18, 2012 at 10:04 am
(7) Duke says:

I was in a bass tournament on Buggs Island Lake in mid-November a couple of years ago. I threw a rattle trap up on top of this point and WHAM, something nailed it. At first, I thought it was a 10# bass. After about 2 minutes and a couple of strong runs, I thought it was a striper. After another couple of minutes of fighting like an old tire, I finally decided it had to be a catfish. And oh, what a catfish!! 25 minutes later, a 52# flathead came alongside the boat, with only the #6 back hook firmly embedded in her lip. It’s a wonder I got her up to the boat without that little hook breaking. After pictures, she was released.

November 20, 2012 at 5:41 pm
(8) fishing says:

They are fun to catch but always disappointing in a tournament when you think for a few seconds you have a trophy bass!