1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Would You Fish Falcon Lake?

By October 16, 2012

Would you go fishing on Falcon Lake? The drug cartels seem to control the lake. A jet skier was murdered there a couple of years ago and fishermen report being chased by machine gun wielding drug runners in bass boats. Falcon Lake is a great bass fishing lake, but is it good enough to risk a trip there?

Share your comments in the section below and go to the article to offer more detailed information about your experiences there and comments on why or why you would not go fishing there.

Would You Fish Falcon Lake?

Comments

October 7, 2010 at 4:58 pm
(1) Dave Maynard says:

I’ve always wanted to fish Falcon but would want to keep a weapon at the ready!!! Would my wife want me to fish it is a better question!

October 11, 2010 at 8:57 am
(2) Richard says:

I’ve always invisioned myself fishing Falcon Lake…it’s such a major bass lake. I would not wish to my life and the life of others at risk. To let God’s blessing go unfished and or enjoyed is a disgrace. The US Gov. needs to step up.
For now I’ll fish closer to home; Guntersville, Lanier, Eufaula.

October 11, 2010 at 9:36 pm
(3) fishing says:

I had dreamed of a trip to Falcon, too. Now, not so much!

October 13, 2010 at 7:47 am
(4) Steve says:

Drug thugs shooting civilians on jet skis? I’d love to fish Falcon Lake. However, I’d like to have a couple of buddies along with me. They’d have to bring their own ARs, and a dozen or so loaded mags, apiece.

Oh, they’d also have to bring some fishing tackle, too…right?

October 15, 2010 at 12:31 pm
(5) Sandy & Marvin says:

We live in VA and have driven to Texas just to fish Falcon Lake for the last two years. It is a beautiflu lake

October 18, 2010 at 8:43 am
(6) mike says:

first; you that say you want to take a gun down there, you had better not go into mexico with that gun. check the laws and see how bad that can get if you are caught with a gun or ammo in mexico. next; we used to fish there this spring til the incidents started happening, and we were there when the first one happened. our answer is no; we will not go there until this is cleared up, and then time passes for at least 4-6 months without incident before even thinking of a trip down there. falcon is the best bass lake we have ever been too; but we have enough sense to stay away. we fished in mexico 90% of the time and never had anything but the mexican fisherman waving at us as they boated by. we did leave a few times and sped back to the american side when seeing different boats in the area that did not look like fisherman.

October 19, 2010 at 8:21 pm
(7) Ron says:

Have fished Falcon for over 25 years. BEST bass fishing lake in country even when fishing there not at it’s best.
Lake getting a lot of bad publicity which is too bad for the locals who depend on tourism business.
Will continue going to Falcon and fishing whenever possible but keeping a wary eye out.
I have been to Cuba bass fishing back in the mid 80′s and just returned from working in Afghanistan last year.
Maybe I’m leading a charmed life or am just running out of luck but I don’t intend to let the drug cartels dictate to me what I can do with my leisure time…….

December 30, 2010 at 9:39 pm
(8) mS says:

Thanks for staying home. More fish for me you bunch of wussies. There has never been an incident on the American side of the lake. If you don’t want the challenge, stay home–more fish for us Texans anyway.

October 18, 2012 at 7:39 am
(9) FEY1 says:

sure I would…. IF I took my AK with me AND used my kevlar assult craft!!!!!!! (figure the 30cal is just too much hassel for a fising trip–now, going in there and cleaning out that nest of slimeballs is another matter?)

October 24, 2012 at 1:30 am
(10) Gerald says:

I am thinking about fishing Lake Falcon & will in the near future (prob spring 2013 ) I plan on staying on Texas side & will be prepared to take action if needed . It is past due for our Gov to step up & take action along US/Mex border !!!!!

October 27, 2012 at 12:32 pm
(11) fishing says:

I would love to fish Falcon but would be a little nervous!

December 24, 2012 at 11:07 am
(12) vbranch says:

I’m a winter tx living on Falcon. Right now, there are more Mexican fisherman in American waters, then Americans…why will our government not stop this…nets everywhere and who knows how many guns and drugs are being delivered. I have personally seen Mexicans jump into Tx from the fishing boats in mid day…they have radios and you can hear them key if a game warden comes close…then they scatter back to Mx….our guys need undercover ops!!!

January 30, 2013 at 10:17 pm
(13) eli says:

just dont do stupid thangs and u wont get shot im only 13 and im going in 2013 spring just dont help people swimmen across the lake